I’m very happy to have Cherie Reich here today. She’s a very gifted and knowledgeable author.
Back in August, I was approached by a local writers’ group to give a workshop on writing horror for their October meeting. After speaking with the great folks of Untethered Realms, who encouraged me to go for it, and asking for a couple days off from work, I said, “Yes.”
Here on some steps to prepare for presenting a workshop.
1. Say, “Yes.” It’s an honor to be asked to present a workshop.
2. Panic. Why did I say I would do it? True, I wrote a horror collection, but I don’t know anything about writing horror.
3. Think about what you already know about the topic. What drew me to writing horror in the first place? I thought about my progression from childhood fears to reading horror books to watching horror movies. Okay, so maybe I know more about horror as a genre than I thought.
4. Plan. Find out how long the workshop should be and if the group is looking for specific information. From there, create some topics and determine how long it might take to talk about each topic.
5. Research. You got your topics, so do your research. Visit Google. Read up on the subject. Look for information from other authors in the genre and/or visit the writers’ association (such as the Horror Writers Association) for details.
6. Write up your presentation. You have your notes. Be sure to have examples too. You can jot down pointers or write out word for word what you want to say. Find what works best for you. Consider also creating a notes worksheet for the participants too, so they don’t have to spend all their time writing notes and can add to what you put down that works for them.
7. Practice, practice, and practice some more. You want to make sure the presentation is long enough as well as be fully prepared to give it.
8. On the day of the presentation, take a deep breath and have fun. You know your topic. You’ve done your research, prepared your presentation, and practiced. You’re ready and can do this.
Have you ever given a workshop presentation before?
Check out Cherie Reich’s newest release:
A princess will rise and challenge Fate.
Magna’s Plea by Cherie Reich is a 5500-word YA Epic Fantasy prequel short story of The Fate Challenges, which also includes a sneak peek of Cherie’s debut novel Reborn, book one of The Fate Challenges, forthcoming May 2014.
Butterman (Time) Travel, Inc.
I’d book a trip to ancient Sumer and the birth of fiction writing. I’d love to see what it was really like to live in the first high civilization.
Welcome to Butterman Travel, Incorporated
We are a full service agency designed to meet all your exclusive time travel needs. Family-owned and operated, we offer clients one hundred years of time travel experience. A place where you can rest assured, safety and reliability always come first.
Anxious to attend a special event from the past? Or for a glimpse of what the future holds?
You’ve come to the right place. We’re a fully accredited operation, offering an array of services; including, but not limited to: customized travel plans, professionally piloted operations, and personal trip guides. *Terms and conditions do apply
Conference us directly from our Website. Our frontline reservation specialist, Bianca Butterman, will handle all your inquiries in a professional and efficient manner, offering a tentative itinerary and free fare quote, so you can make the most of your time trip.
We look forward to serving you at Butterman Travel, Inc., where time is always in your hands.
PK Hrezo is a native Floridian whose life could easily be a Jimmy Buffet song. She shares her home with her firefighter husband and their two children. When not creating characters and their worlds, PK can be found at her other job of rearranging passenger’s itineraries for a major international airline. The only hobbies she loves more than traveling, are reading, writing, and music, and when the four are combined she exists in total bliss.
- She blogs regularly at PK HREZO: Fearless Fiction http://pk-hrezo.blogspot.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/PKHrezo @pkhrezo
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authorpkhrezo
- Website http://down-the-rabbithole.com/
Dragon’s Game from EJ Wesley
Available Monday, October 22nd!
Jenny Moonsong recently inherited the title of “monster hunter” and an ancient tribal journal/how-to manual passed down by her Apache ancestors. She has already faced a werewolf, witches, and a troll. But nothing could prepare her for her latest confrontation…
Dragon’s Game, Moonsongs Book 4, finds Jenny out of her rural West Texas element, searching for an evil witch in an urban Houston nightclub. After attempting to help a handsome and mysterious stranger out of a jam, she finds herself on the run from a ruthless gang who are even more dangerous than they initially appear.
Forced into a twisted game of life and death, Jenny must navigate the complexity of a budding relationship, and somehow survive a night filled with unexpected horror and paranormal mystery.
Dragon’s Game is approximately 14,000 words or 45 pages, and is the fourth volume of the Moonsongs Books, an ongoing series of New Adult, speculative / urban fantasy novelettes by author E.J. Wesley.
(These stories contain language and content better suited for readers 17+)
~Moonsongs Series List~
- Blood Fugue, Moonsongs Book 1
- Witch’s Nocturne, Moonsongs Book 2
- Dark Prelude, Moonsongs Book 3
- Dragon’s Game, Moonsongs Book 4
- Moonsongs, Anthology 1 (Collecting books 1, 2, & 3)
Add Dragon’s Game to your Goodreads shelf!
And for a limited time, you can catch up on the entire Moonsongs series for just .99 cents (regularly $2.99) – Moonsongs Anthology 1 (books 1, 2, & 3) is on sale October 15th – 20th at Amazon and Barnes & Noble!
Connect with E.J. for all the latest on the Moonsongs books!
Where to find M. Pax
Lots of treats from lots of authors this October. Thank you to Cherie for that awesome post. You can find me on her blog today where I talk about adventures in book marketing, things I’ve tried and how they’ve worked.
And I have a flash interview on Jamie Ayre’s today. What will I reveal?